Piri piri chicken burgers
- 600g skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons minced red chilli
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- oil spray, to grease
- 4 buns or rolls
- 2-3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- crisp lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 22g
Dietary fibre 4g
- Place each chicken breast between two sheets of plastic. Use a rolling pin to bang the breast into even thickness to double its original size. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Measure the next 6 ingredients into a sturdy plastic bag or shallow casserole dish then massage the bag or stir to combine. Add chicken and turn pieces (or massage the bag again) until chicken is coated on all sides with marinade. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
- Heat a large, lightly oiled frying pan or barbecue hot plate to a medium-high heat then add marinated chicken. Cook each side for 4-5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (cut the thickest piece to see that there is no pink in the middle).
- Halve buns and spread with a little mayonnaise. Assemble lettuce, a cooked chicken breast then tomato slices between bun halves. Season if preferred and serve.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of bread and mayonnaise.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..