Easy chicken risotto
3 hrs35 mins
(Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 3 hrs25 mins)
Total cost: $ 10.60 / $ 2.65 per serve
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 1/4 cups arborio rice
- 3 cups salt-reduced liquid chicken stock
- 1 cup water (or 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup dry white wine)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 400g skinless chicken breasts, chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas or medium bunch spinach or silver beet
- 3/4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 3g
- Turn the slow cooker on high while preparing ingredients. Heat oil in a heavy-based pan. Add onion and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes over a medium-high heat. Add rice and stir for another minute to coat with oil. Transfer to slow cooker. Add stock, water, chilli flakes, carrot and celery.
- Add chicken to pan and cook on a high heat to brown. If pan is a little dry, add a little oil. Add to ingredients in slow cooker then cook on high for 1½-3 hours or until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy (see tip).
- Turn slow cooker to low then add peas (or chopped spinach/silver beet). Heat for 15 more minutes then stir in parmesan and serve garnished with parsley
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock.
The first time you make this, keep check of the time it takes. Do not overcook as rice becomes gluggy. Time may vary due to the kind of slow cooker, whether the slow cooker has been preheated and the stock temperature.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..