Couscous with seven vegetables
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, cut in 2cm pieces
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups frozen broad beans
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 medium courgettes, cut in 2cm pieces
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 80g low-fat plain yoghurt
- chopped parsley, to serve
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 16g
1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add tomatoes, stock, chilli flakes, sultanas, carrots and cabbage. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until tender.
2 Meanwhile, place broad beans in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 1 minute. Drain then rinse under cold running water. Peel off outer skin and discard. Set beans aside.
3 Place couscous in a medium-sized bowl. Pour over 2 cups boiling water and cover. Soak for 2-3 minutes until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and stir through first measure of parsley.
4 Add courgettes, chickpeas and broad beans to tomato mixture. Cook for 1-2 minutes until courgettes are tender. Serve couscous topped with vegetable mixture, yoghurt and parsley.
Add chopped eggplant, pumpkin or broccoli to boost your vegetable intake even higher.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..