Chicken pesto pasta with tomatoes and eggplant
- 500g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced, cut in strips, lengthways
- oil spray
- 400g skinless chicken breast fillets
- 350g penne pasta
- 1/2 cup HFG basil pesto
- 40g fresh parmesan cheese, shaved
- fresh basil, to garnish
- HFG basil pesto
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1 lemon, juice
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 7g
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Arrange tomatoes over one tray and strips of eggplant over the other. Spray both with oil and sprinkle with black pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning eggplant halfway through cooking. Vegetables are ready when tomatoes are browned and softened and eggplant is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Spray chicken fillets with oil and cook in pan for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from pan and cut in slices.
- Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain and return to pan. Add pesto and stir to coat. Add vegetables and toss gently to combine. Serve topped with parmesan and basil.
- HFG basil pesto Blend garlic, basil, lemon juice and nuts in a processor until smooth. Add oil in a thin stream until mixture comes together. Add parmesan, blend well and season with salt and pepper.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..