Spiced butternut and chickpea tagine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon minced red chilli
- 600g peeled, deseeded butternut squash, cut in 2cm cubes
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 lemon, zest and juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 11g
- Heat oil over a medium-high heat in a large frying pan or a pot with a close-fitting lid. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about five minutes or until onion is soft and turning clear.
- Stir in spices and chilli and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Add butternut, tomatoes (and juice), chickpeas and lemon zest. Bring mixture to the boil then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until butternut is tender.
- Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper and most of the parsley and coriander, reserving a little to garnish. Serve over couscous garnished with the remaining herbs.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..