Tandoori chicken with cumin-flavoured rice
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 lemon, 2 teaspoons juice
- 500g skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 small red chillies, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely diced garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cumin-flavoured rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- oil spray
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely sliced in rings
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- 4 cups steamed green vegetables
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 7g
- To prepare chicken, combine chilli powder and lemon juice in a small bowl. Place chicken in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Use a sharp knife to make incisions on chicken breasts. Rub chilli mixture over chicken, cover and set aside.
- To make marinade, in a bowl combine yoghurt with the remaining marinade ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. Spoon marinade mix over chicken, pushing it into the slits. Cover and place chicken in fridge for 6-8 hours to marinate. Turn occasionally to make sure all sides are coated.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place chicken on a wire rack over a large baking dish and roast for about 40–50 minutes or until chicken is cooked (juices will run clear when a skewer is inserted). Alternatively, skewer chicken and barbecue on a hot grill.
- Meanwhile, prepare cumin-flavoured rice. Wash rice well then place in a bowl, cover with cold water and soak for 30 minutes. Drain. Spray a little oil in a heavy-based pan. Add cumin. Allow to ‘sputter’ until aromatic. Add rice and measured water. Stir and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover pan and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until water has evaporated.
- Serve chicken and rice with onion rings, coriander, lemon wedges and green vegetables.
Make it gluten free: Check ground spices are gluten free.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..