Vegetarian pad Thai
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 450g firm tofu, cut in cubes
- 1/4 cup) salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon castor sugar
- 200g dried flat rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (such as canola)
- 1 onion, cut in thin wedges
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, cut in thin strips
- 1 red capsicum, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup crushed unsalted peanuts, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 3g
- To make marinade, combine first measure of soy sauce, kecap manis, garlic and ginger in a small bowl. Place tofu in a shallow, non-metallic dish and pour marinade over. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Place second measure of soy sauce, lime juice and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place noodles in a heatproof bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover and stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat half the oil in a wok over a high heat. With a slotted spoon add tofu in batches and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to wok with onion and chilli and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add capsicum and sprouts. Stir-fry for 1 more minute.
- Add the reserved noodles, lime juice mixture, chives and coriander to wok and toss gently over a high heat for 2 minutes or until noodles are coated in sauce and heated through. Return tofu to wok and cook for 1 more minute.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with peanuts and lime wedges.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce, kecap manis and tofu.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..