Chicken and vegetable parcels with plum sauce
Time to make: 50 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 18.20 / $ 4.55 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin, peeled, trimmed, cut in 1.5cm thick pieces (about 200g trimmed)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plum sauce
- 500g chicken breast fillet, cut in 1cm-thick slices
- 3 carrots, peeled, coarsely grated
- 3 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 5 cups baby bok choy, shredded
- 2 cups basmati rice, steamed
- fresh coriander, to garnish
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 10g
1 Preheat oven to 200ºC. Place metal baking tin in oven to heat.
2 Steam or microwave pumpkin until just tender. Meanwhile, combine garlic, 5-spice powder, honey, soy sauce and plum sauce in a medium-sized bowl. Add chicken and carrots and toss until well combined.
3 Cut four 30cm x 50cm pieces of tinfoil. In the centre of each piece of tinfoil place a 15cm x 15cm square of baking paper. Place steamed pumpkin, broccoli and bok choy in the centre of baking paper. Top vegetables in each parcel with one-quarter of the chicken mixture. Fold paper into a parcel then fold tinfoil around it to keep cooking juices inside. Repeat to make 4 parcels.
4 Place parcels in heated baking tin and cook on top shelf in oven for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked and vegetables are tender (check by carefully opening the parcel). Serve with rice and garnish with coriander.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..