Whole slow-cooked chicken stuffed with cranberry and almond couscous
- 1 large oven bag
- 1 size 16 chicken
- 1 cup couscous
- 70g (1 packet) sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 apples, cored, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 75g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons vinaigrette
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 4g
- Turn slow cooker on to low. Wash chicken and pat dry. Remove skin.
- Combine couscous, almonds, cranberries, parsley and sage. Spoon mixture into chicken cavity.
- Place chicken in oven bag and pour in apple juice and lemon juice. Tie up bag. Place in slow cooker, breast-side down and cover with lid. Cook for 7-8 hours.
- Chicken is ready when meat falls easily from the bone. When chicken is done, remove from slow cooker and cool in bag for 5 minutes. Open bag with care and place in serving dish to break off chicken. Discard juice.
- Toss salad greens, apple slices, celery and feta together. Dress salad and serve with chicken and couscous stuffing.
Make it gluten free: Use brown rice instead of couscous and check vinaigrette is gluten free.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..