Lemon polenta cookies
- 100g reduced-fat spread
- 75g castor sugar
- 1 lemon, zest, finely grated
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Beat spread, sugar and lemon zest together until light and creamy.
- Add yolks one at a time. Beat well.
- Sift flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Stir in polenta. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and beat until combined.
- Knead lightly for 1-2 minutes. Shape dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of baking paper. Use a cookie cutter to cut 14 cookies about 6cm in diameter. With a spatula, transfer cookies to baking tray. Bake for 10-12 minutes until light golden. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from tray.
- Once completely cool drizzle with icing made by mixing icing sugar with a little water.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free baking mix and check icing sugar is gluten free.
You can make this cookie by rolling to a round then cutting into even-sized slices before baking.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..