Thai chicken en papillote
- 1 cup shredded bok choy
- 350g skinless boneless chicken breasts, chopped in chunks
- 1/4 cup salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 cups frozen vegetables
- 2 x 250g sachets quick-to-cook brown basmati rice
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 9g
1 Take 4 squares of baking paper and place bok choy onto each. Place chicken pieces on top. Place portions in a microwave-proof dish.
2 In a small bowl combine the remaining 4 ingredients and drizzle on top of chicken.
3 Wrap paper tightly. Pierce top of paper a couple of times and cook in microwave on full power for 3-4 minutes until chicken is completely cooked through. Leave to stand for a couple of minutes.
4 Cook vegetables and rice following packet directions in microwave.
5 Place chicken on top of rice and scatter with coriander. Serve with vegetables and garnish with a lime wedge if preferred.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and make sure fish sauce is gluten free.
Microwave cooking tips
- Always check cooking dishes are suitable for use in the microwave. Pyrex works well.
- Testing dishes for microwave cooking: Place a glass of water and the dish to test in the microwave. Cook on full power for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove the dish and glass from microwave. Test the water with your finger. Warm water and a cool dish means the dish will be safe for microwave use. Cool water and a warm or hot dish mean that the dish is not suitable for the microwave.
- Have oven gloves ready to handle dishes after microwaving.
- Stand food for a few minutes before removing from microwave to avoid any steam and spitting.
- Getting rid of odours: Place 1-2 lemon slices in microwave in a small bowl of water. Heat on full power for 1 minute then leave in microwave for 5 minutes to allow odours to be absorbed into the water.
All rights reserved
Reproduction without permission prohibited
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..