Chicken and eggplant parmigiana
Time to make: 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
Total cost: $ 25.28 / $ 6.32 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- oil spray
- 1 medium-sized (350g) eggplant, cut in 1cm slices, halved
- 600g chicken breast fillets, cut lengthways in 1cm-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley or oregano
- 4 medium slices sourdough bread
- 4 cups green salad with 4 tablespoons vinaigrette (made with 2 parts olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar)
- extra fresh oregano (optional)
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 7g
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 2-litre (30x 22cm) ovenproof dish with oil. Microwave or steam eggplant slices for 2 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
2 Spray a large frying pan with oil and cook chicken over a high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Add lemon juice and sprinkle with dried oregano. Place chicken in dish. Add eggplant slices interspersed with chicken pieces.
3 Combine tomato pasta sauce with tomatoes and balsamic. Spoon over chicken and eggplant. Sprinkle with cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes.
4 Meanwhile, combine garlic and fresh herb in a small bowl. Spray each piece of bread with oil then grill on a hot plate to get char marks or place under a hot grill to toast. Top each bread slice with herb and garlic mixture. Serve parmigiana with bread, salad and scatter over extra fresh oregano (if using).
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..