Chicken and vege couscous soup
- 2 teaspoons oil or oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 8 cups liquid chicken stock made with 3 teaspoons chicken stock powder and 8 cups water
- 400g lean chicken breast, sliced
- 4 cups diced vegetables: carrots, leeks, celery, beans
- 1 1/2 cups instant couscous
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 8g
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add onion, chilli flakes, garlic paste and lemon zest. Cook until softened.
- Add stock and lemon juice.Bring to simmer. Stir in chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add vegetables and couscous and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring from time to time until couscous is soft. Spoon into bowls and if preferred, serve with crusty bread. and garnish with fresh coriander.
Make it gluten free: Use cooked brown rice instead of couscous and check stock is gluten free.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..