Yoghurt citrus cake
Time to make: 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
Total cost: $ 6.48 / $ 0.54 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon essence
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 75g mixed peel, pieces broken up
- 1/2 cup (50g) sliced almonds
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
1 Preheat oven to 175ºC. Spray a small or medium-sized ring or plain cake tin lightly with oil. In a small bowl mix together the first 4 ‘wet’ ingredients. Mix well with a fork to break up egg.
2 In a large bowl add the remaining four ‘dry’ ingredients. Mix together well with a fork and make sure mixture is not in big lumps. Make a well in the centre.
3 Add wet ingredients to the dry mixture and mix quickly with a fork until just combined. Spoon cake mixture evenly into prepared cake tin. Smooth top to even then bake for 30 minutes.
4 Test with a sharp knife to see if cake is cooked. If the knife is clear the cake is ready. If not, cook for another 5 minutes. Once cooked, let the cake cool and serve with a dusting of icing sugar if preferred.
WINNER: HFG kids' healthy baking competition 2012
Oscar (9), Auckland
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free baking mix instead of flour.
- Chocolate cake: Replace lemon essence with vanilla essence and replace mixed peel with 2 tablespoons cocoa.
- Banana cake: Leave out essence and mixed peel and add 1 ripe mashed banana.
When mixing dry ingredients together in a bowl it is best to make a big dent or ‘well’ in the centre of the ingredients. This helps when you add the wet ingredients to the centre as it is easier to mix and blend ingredients evenly.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..