Lamb, date and kumara tagine
Time to make: 1 hr 55 mins
( Hands-on time: 30 mins )
Total cost: $ 24.00 / $ 6.00 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- oil spray
- 500g diced lean lamb shoulder, fat trimmed
- 2 medium-sized red onions, cut in thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g kumara, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 4 fresh dates, seeded, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 large courgette, grated
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 8g
1 Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium-high heat. Cook lamb, stirring, for 7-8 minutes or until browned. Add onions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
2 Add paprika, turmeric and cinnamon sticks. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and 1 cup cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
3 Add kumara and dates. Cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until lamb is tender and sauce has thickened slightly. Season well with pepper and stir in half the coriander.
4 Meanwhile, place couscous and courgette in a heatproof bowl. Add 1 1/4 cups boiling water. Cover and stand for 5 minutes. Use a fork to fluff couscous grains and season with pepper. Remove cinnamon sticks before serving tagine with couscous. Garnish with the remaining coriander.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..