- 1 1/4 cups trim milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways or 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
Total fat 3g
Saturated fat 1g
- Heat milk with vanilla pod and allow to just come to the boil. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar. Mix cornflour with 2 tablespoons water to make a paste.
- Pour hot milk over egg yolks while whisking vigorously with a whisk. When completely mixed in, return to pan with cornflour.
- Stir over a low heat until mixture thickens to coat back of spoon. This will take 5-6 minutes. Remove vanilla pod. Use as required.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free cornflour.
Use this custard* to make these recipes:
- Save egg whites for future use to make meringue or for glazing.
- If storing custard, keep vanilla pod in custard until ready to serve to allow the vanilla flavour to develop.
- To make the vanilla custard in the microwave, heat milk for 1 1/2 minutes on full power in a microwave-proof bowl. Prepare as in step 2, returning the mix to a microwave bowl. Heat on high for 3 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..