Middle Eastern chicken skewers with couscous
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked
- 3 teaspoons Middle Eastern spice mix
- 12 chicken tenderloins (about 600g), trimmed
- 1 cup wholemeal couscous
- 420g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint, plus extra to serve
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved or 400g can cherry tomatoes, drained
- 4 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 9g
1 Preheat a grill to medium-high. Sprinkle spice mix evenly over chicken, turning to coat. Thread chicken onto pre-soaked skewers. Grill chicken for 4 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through.
2 Meanwhile, place couscous in a large heatproof bowl. Pour over 1 cup boiling water. Cover and stand for 5 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Fluff grains with a fork to separate.
3 Add chickpeas, mint, onion and tomatoes to couscous. Stir to combine. Season with black pepper.
4 Serve chicken skewers with couscous, extra mint and yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free seasoning, use quinoa instead of couscous, and check yoghurt is gluten free.
- Chicken can be marinated in spice a day ahead, covered and kept chilled.
- You can also use metal skewers.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..