Feta and rice-stuffed capsicums
Time to make: 1 hr
( Hands-on time: 30 mins )
Total cost: $ 14.40 / $ 3.60 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- oil spray
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large tomato, pulp removed, finely diced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 medium-sized red capsicums
- 8 cups green salad with balsamic dressing, to serve
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 4g
1 Preheat oven to 200ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spray a frying pan with oil and place over a medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and tomato. Cook for 3 minutes or until tomato is soft. Transfer to a large bowl to cool. Add rice, pine nuts, currants, parsley and feta. Toss until well combined.
2 Cut tops off capsicums and set aside. Remove and discard capsicum core and seeds. Sit capsicums on tray and fill with rice mixture. Cover with capsicum tops and spray with oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until soft. Serve with salad.
Meat variations: These stuffed capsicums are great for entertaining, and they can easily be made with a meaty stuffing – add 425g can tuna or 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast or 400g cooked lamb mince.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..