Carrot cake muffins
- oil spray
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 eggs
- 180g apple purée
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 medium-sized carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup diced prunes
Total fat 8g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and grease a 12-hole muffin tin with a little oil spray. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in oats.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, apple purée and oil. Create a well in the centre of dry ingredients and pour in apple mixture. Combine well.
- Stir in carrots and prunes, adding teaspoons of hot water if mixture becomes too dry.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Use nutmeg and sultanas (or dried cranberries) instead of cinnamon and prunes.
These muffins can be stored frozen for up to 3 months.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..