Chickpea and red lentil soup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2/5 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red or white onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups liquid salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped, plus extra, to garnish (optional)
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat Greek yoghurt
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 8g
1 Heat a non-stick pan for a few minutes. Add cumin seeds and chilli flakes. Cook for 1 minute or until seeds start to release their aromas and ‘pop’.
2 Add oil and onion. Cook for 5 minutes until softened. Stir in lentils, stock, 1 1/2 cups water and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until lentils soften.
3 Purée soup in a processor or with a stick blender until roughly puréed. Return soup to pan. Add chickpeas and heat through, adding 1/2 cup boiling water for a soup with thinner consistency.
4 Stir in coriander and season to taste. Serve with a spoonful of yoghurt and extra coriander (if using).
Make it gluten free: Check stock and yoghurt are gluten free.
This soup can be kept for up to 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container. Heat thoroughly before serving.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..