Mexican slow-cooked beef
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 850g bolar beef, fat removed
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 75g sun-dried tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 sachet bouquet garni (mixed herbs) – see tip
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 orange kumara, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 cup passata
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup liquid salt-reduced beef stock
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 10g
- Turn slow cooker to low. Heat oil in a frying pan and brown beef on all sides.
- Place beef in slow cooker with remaining ingredients, adding liquids last. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 7-8 hours until beef is tender. If possible, turn beef at some stage during cooking.
- Remove beef from slow cooker and cut in chunks. Return to casserole and stir through.
Make it gluten free: Check pesto, chilli powder, passata and stock are gluten free.
Bouquet garni sachets are available in the dried herbs section of most supermarkets (or use a selection of fresh herbs — such as thyme, rosemary and parsley — tied together with string).
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..