Sweet and sour beef
- 600g stewing steak such as topside or blade, cut in thin slices or bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 small (around 230g) can pineapple pieces in natural juice, drained — juice set aside
- 2 medium-sized carrots, cut in medium slices
- 1 large onion, cut in large chunks
- 1 red capsicum, cut in chunks
- 1 medium-sized head broccoli, cut in small florets
- 3 tablespoons cornflour mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water
Total fat 8g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 7g
- Place chopped steak in slow cooker. Mix brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and pineapple juice (not pieces) together and pour over meat. Add carrots and onion and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- If on low, turn heat to high and add pineapple pieces, capsicum, broccoli and cornflour mix. Cook for 30 more minutes on high or until capsicum and broccoli are just cooked and juices have thickened.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free soy sauce and check cider vinegar and cornflour are gluten free.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..