Carrot fruity slice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150g (1 1/2 cups) grated carrot
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 50g (1/3 cup) dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a slice pan base with baking paper.
- Mix sugar, oil and egg together in a large bowl. Stir in carrot, raisins, apricots, orange zest and walnuts.
- Add flour, soda and cinnamon just to combine. Spoon into pan and bake for 25 minutes until firm to touch. Cool slightly then turn onto cooling rack.
- To make icing, mix the icing sugar with the orange juice and a little water to make a runny icing. Drizzle over bars before cutting in even-sized pieces.
This slice can be frozen for 3 weeks, or slice will keep in an airtight container in a cool place (unfrozen) for 4 days.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..