Lemongrass chicken with spinach
- 500g skinless, boneless chicken thigh pieces
- 50g Asian Home Gourmet Spice Paste for Singapore Curry
- 2 sticks lemongrass, finely sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed, drained
- oil spray
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh shallots
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 8 cups chopped fresh spinach, well washed
Total fat 19g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 9g
1 Place quartered chicken pieces in a bowl. Add spice paste and toss well to coat. Finely grind lemongrass with a little water into a paste using a mortar and pestle or small blender and add to chicken and toss through.
2 Bring water to the boil. Add rice and lentils. Cover and turn to low to cook for about 25 minutes. Stand for 5 minutes with lid on.
3 Spray a hot BBQ plate or frying pan with oil. Toss chicken on, turn to a medium heat and cook each side for 3-4 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to an ovenproof dish, cover and rest.
4 Add half the peanut oil to a hot wok. Cook shallots until crunchy then remove. Heat remaining oil in wok, add ginger and cook gently for 1 minute. Add spinach, toss then cover and cook until wilted. Add shallots to spinach to serve.
5 Serve chicken in its juices with rice, lentils and spinach.
Fresh lemongrass can be substituted for 4 tablespoons finely chopped preserved lemongrass or add 4 finely sliced soft fresh lemon leaves or kaffir lime leaves.
All rights reserved
Reproduction without permission prohibited
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..