Chicken, kumara and ricotta lasagne
- oil spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g lean chicken mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200g baby spinach
- 800g kumara, peeled, thinly sliced in rounds
- 400g reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup trim milk
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
- Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium heat. Cook onion, carrot and celery, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 more minute. Add mince and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and ¼ cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add spinach and stir through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly spray an 8-cup-capacity (25cm x 18cm x 6cm) ovenproof dish with oil. Place kumara in a large microwave-proof dish with 2 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave for 4-5 minutes on high or until just tender. Drain.
- Whisk ricotta cheese, egg and milk in a large bowl until smooth.
- To assemble lasagne, spread one-third of the kumara to cover base of prepared dish. Top with half the mince mixture. Repeat with another kumara layer and remaining mince. Finish with a kumara layer then spread with ricotta mixture. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until top is golden and bubbling. Sit lasagne for 5 minutes before serving.
Make it gluten free: Check tomato paste is gluten free.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..