Mexican bean and beef pies with kumara topping
- oil spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, trimmed, grated
- 1 courgette, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- I teaspoon ground paprika
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 600g kumara, peeled, chopped
- 4 cups salad greens
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium heat. Cook onion, carrot and courgette, stirring for 6-8 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, cumin and paprika. Cook, stirring for 1 more minute.
- Add mince and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, kidney beans and 1/3 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until thick. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile, steam, boil or microwave kumara for 4-5 minutes until tender then mash until smooth. Divide mince mixture among 4 x 1-cup-capacity individual ovenproof dishes or ramekins. Top each dish with one-quarter of the mashed kumara.
- Place dishes on a large baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until top is golden. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Serve pies with salad greens.
- Replace beef mince with lean chicken mince.
- Make it gluten free: Check ground spices and tomato paste are gluten free.
This dish freezes well (freeze at the end of step 3).
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..