Thai chicken with crunchy coleslaw
- 4 x 125g skinless, lean chicken breasts (500g)
- 4 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 1 stalk lemongrass, smashed, finely sliced (see tips)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Crunchy coleslaw
- 1/2 head red or green cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup jasmine or basmati rice
- oil spray
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 4g
- Cut several slits in the top of each chicken breast. Mix all marinade ingredients together and pour over chicken. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- To make coleslaw, mix all crunchy coleslaw ingredients together. Chill. Cook rice then drain.
- When ready to cook chicken, place on a preheated barbecue, griddle or non-stick pan sprayed lightly with oil. Cook for 10 minutes, turning once. Serve chicken with coleslaw and rice. Garnish with coriander.
Make it gluten free: Check sweet chilli sauce is gluten free.
- To prepare lemongrass, use the widest part of a large knife to press down firmly on the bulb end of the lemongrass. This will split lemongrass open. Remove outer skin and finely chop the inner flesh to use in recipe.
- The chicken and coleslaw can be made the day before and kept in the fridge. The chicken will have a more authentic flavour the longer it is marinated.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..