Sausages with pea purée and onion gravy
- 4 frozen corn cobs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 extra-lean Italian-beef sausages
- 2 large onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1/2 cups liquid reduced-salt beef stock
- 2 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 13g
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add corn cob halves to pan and cook for 4–5 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan set over a medium–high heat. Add sausages to pan. Cook, turning occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer sausages to a plate, cover loosely with tinfoil and set aside.
- Add three-quarters of the onion to the same frying pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir flour into onion, then stir in wine (if using), thyme and stock. Increase heat to high, bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes or until gravy is slightly thick.
- Meanwhile, place a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add remaining olive oil and heat. Add remaining sliced onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add frozen peas to saucepan with 1 cup water and bring to the boil. Simmer mixture, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until peas are tender. Blend onion–pea mixture and mint in a small food processor until smooth.
- Divide pea purée among plates. Top each with 2 sausages, spoon onion gravy over sausages and serve with a corn cob.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free sausages and rice flour instead of standard flour. Check stock is gluten free.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..