Chicken meatballs with miso rice
(Hands-on time: 20 mins, Cooking time: 40 mins)
- Chicken meatballs
- 400g skinless, boneless Tegel chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- Miso rice
- 1 1/2 cups sushi rice
- 1/2 teaspoon miso paste
- 4 teaspoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 300g pumpkin (1 3/4 cups), chopped in 2.5cm chunks
- 2 mandarins
- 4 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons liquid honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Total fat 21g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 5g
- Preheat oven to 200°C. To make meatballs, place chicken in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped, taking care not to mix it to a paste. Mix soy sauce, sesame oil, coriander and breadcrumbs into chicken. Shape mix into small walnut-sized balls. Place sesame seeds on a flat plate and roll meatballs in seeds until lightly coated. Place balls in an ovenproof dish and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
- Arrange pumpkin in a single layer on a lined baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes, turning at times, until pumpkin is just tender.
- While pumpkin and chicken balls are cooking, cook rice following packet directions.
- To make salad, segment mandarins and mix with roasted pumpkin and spinach. Combine lemon juice, honey and oil in a small bowl and drizzle over salad. Gently toss to combine.
- To make miso rice, mix miso, soy sauce, coriander and spring onions into cooked rice. Serve meatballs with miso rice and salad. Add a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce if you prefer.
NZ Nutrition Foundation schools competition: recipe from winner of ‘Table Challenge — Chicken’ category, Kizzie Amoore, Dana Herbison and Libby Harrison of Epsom Girls Grammar School.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..