Time to make: 40 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 5.60 / $ 0.35 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- oil spray
- 80g reduced-fat spread, melted
- 1/2 cup packed soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup trim milk
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g frozen mixed berries
- 2 teaspoons (total) icing sugar and/or drinking-chocolate powder, to dust
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Coat a 20cm-square cake tin with a light spray of oil then line tin with baking paper.
2 Beat spread and sugar with a wooden spoon. Add eggs and beat to combine. Fold milk, banana, cocoa and flours into egg mixture until just combined. Fold chocolate and berries into brownie mixture.
3 Spoon mixture into tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Leave cooked mixture to stand in tin for 10 minutes. Slice in 16 squares. Dust brownies with icing sugar and/or chocolate powder.
How we did it
- Halved the sugar and sweetened with a banana.
- Used 75 per cent less chocolate and added cocoa powder for richer flavour.
- Replaced butter with reduced-fat spread to lower saturated fat and kilojoules.
- Swapped walnuts for mixed berries to cut kilojoules.
- Used trim milk rather than dark-blue-top milk to cut fat.
- 470kJ/113 cal
- 10g fat
- 4g sat fat
- 8g sugars
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flours and check cocoa powder, chocolate, icing sugar and drinking chocolate are gluten free.
Hanu de Jong
Read more about this chef..