Chilli beef and kidney bean soup
(Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 30 mins)
Total cost: $ 20.80 / $ 5.20 per serve
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large red capsicum, diced
- 1 medium-sized red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 400g beef mince
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups passata
- 2 cups liquid no-added-salt beef stock
- 2 cups boiling water
- oil spray
- 4 wholemeal tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander, to serve
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 10g
- Heat oil in a large saucepan set over a medium-high heat. Add carrot, capsicum and onion to pan with garlic, cinnamon and chilli flakes. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add mince to pan. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until mince is browned and cooked through. Add Worcestershire sauce, kidney beans, passata, stock and boiling water. Bring mixture to the boil then reduce heat to simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, spray a medium-sized grill pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Cook tortillas, one at a time, for 1-2 minutes each side or until slightly browned. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Stir coriander into soup then serve immediately with a tortilla.
Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free, use gluten-free tamari or soy sauce instead of Worcestershire sauce, and use gluten-free bread.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..