Seed and oat bread
Time to make: 1 hr , plus 2 hrs resting
Total cost: $ 17.81 / $ 1.37 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flaxseeds (aka linseeds)
1/2 cup almonds, chopped
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 tablespoons chia seeds
4 tablespoons psyllium husk
1 teaspoon flaky salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Total fat 13g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 8g
1 Combine dry ingredients in a silicone loaf tin. Mix well with a fork to combine.
2 Add water and oil and mix until ingredients are well combined and dough is very thick. Let dough sit for at least 2 hours or overnight. Dough is ready when it is solid.
3 Preheat oven to 175°C. Bake loaf for 20 minutes then remove from tin and bake on oven rack for 30-40 minutes until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
4 Allow loaf to cool completely before slicing.
- Walnut and almond bread: Replace half the almonds with walnut halves or pieces.
- Gluten-free seed and nut bread: Replace oats with quinoa flakes.
- Fruit and nut bread: Leave out chia seeds and add 1 tablespoon each of sultanas, dried cranberries and finely chopped dates.
- Find psyllium husk in the baking aisle at the supermarket or in the bulk bins.
- When sliced very thinly this loaf is great as a cracker alternative. Cut slices in halves or thirds.
- This loaf freezes well. Slice then freeze individually-wrapped slices for quick toasting.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..