Curried bean burgers
- 200g kumara, peeled, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 1/2 x 420g can lite baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 30g breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- pinch of cumin
- 4 mixed grain rolls, toasted
- 4 radicchio leaves, shredded
- 1 medium-sized Lebanese cucumber, peeled in ribbons
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 8g
- Steam kumara and carrots in a microwave or on stove top for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl, mash lightly and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat half of the oil in a small non-stick frying pan set over a medium heat. Add onion to pan. Cook for 2 minutes or until almost soft. Add curry paste and cook for 2 more minutes. Add baked beans. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce becomes thick and sticky, stirring regularly to stop sauce from burning. Remove pan from heat and leave sauce to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir baked-bean sauce into reserved vegetable mash. Add egg and breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- Heat remaining oil in a large, shallow non-stick frying pan set over a low heat. Wet hands and shape bean mixture into 4 large patties, smoothing edges with a spoon (patties will be quite soft).
- Cook patties in pan, flipping carefully, for 4 minutes each side or until patties are golden brown and heated through.
- Mix yoghurt and cumin in a small bowl. Fill each roll with radicchio, cucumber ribbons, 1 bean pattie and a spoonful of yoghurt-cumin mixture. Serve.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and bread rolls. Check curry paste, beans and yoghurt are gluten free.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..