Low-FODMAP lemon and poppy seed loaf
- 100g reduced-fat non-dairy spread (we used Olivani Lite)
- 100g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Lemon glaze
- few grates of lemon zest, plus extra for topping (optional)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a loaf tin.
- Cream spread and sugar until pale then mix in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice then fold in flour, baking powder and poppy seeds.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until loaf is risen, springy and golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- While loaf is cooking, combine glaze ingredients. Remove cooked loaf from oven and drizzle syrup over allowing it to soak in. Turn loaf out and decorate with extra lemon zest (if using) then slice to serve.
This recipe is suitable for people on a low-FODMAP diet, based on Monash University published tolerance levels as at October 2014.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..