Lentil ‘sausage’ rolls
- 1 slice grainy bread
- 420g can no-added-salt lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, plus extra, to serve
- oil spray
- 5 sheets filo pastry
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 3g
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place bread in a food processor. Blend to make breadcrumbs then place breadcrumbs in a large bowl with lentils, carrot, egg, walnuts, chives and sauces to make filling. Mix well.
- Remove 1 filo pastry sheet from packet and cover remaining sheets with a damp tea towel to prevent them from drying out. Spray filo sheet with oil and cut in half lengthways, making 2 long strips.
- Turn filo strips so short ends face you. Place 2 tablespoons filling (about 3cm high) about 5cm from short end and 0.5cm from sides. Fold end over filling and roll up to form ‘sausage’ roll. Repeat process with remaining filo strip. Place rolls on prepared baking tray and spray with oil. Repeat process with remaining filling and filo sheets.
- Sprinkle rolls with sesame seeds. Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden. Serve ‘sausage’ rolls with extra tomato sauce.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and filo. Check sauces are gluten free.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..