Chocolate, beetroot and raspberry cake
Time to make: 1 hr 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 17.88 / $ 1.49 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
120g dark chocolate
2 cups grated raw beetroot (from 2 medium-sized beetroot)
1 cup grated pear (from 1 medium-sized pear)
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup cocoa powder, plus extra, to serve
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup frozen raspberries
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 3g
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a 10cm x 21cm x 7cm loaf tin with baking paper. Whisk eggs, oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high, stirring at 20-second intervals until smooth.
- Whisk melted chocolate into egg mixture. Stir in beetroot, pear, almond meal, cocoa and cinnamon. Gently fold raspberries into batter so they remain intact.
- Transfer batter to prepared loaf tin and bake for 80–90 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Turn cake out of tin, dust with extra cocoa powder and serve.
Serve cake topped with in-season fresh fruit and a dollop of low-fat plain yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Check chocolate, cocoa and cinnamon are gluten free.
This cake is suitable to freeze.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..