Cherry almond fairy cakes with pistachio dust
(Hands-on time: 20 mins, Cooking time: 25 mins)
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 115g reduced-fat spread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup fresh cherries, de-stoned
- To decorate
- 25g pistachio nuts, crushed
Total fat 8g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line muffin trays with paper cases. Beat sugar and spread together until creamy.
- Add eggs with vanilla paste and beat. Fold in flour and almonds. Spoon mixture into paper cases. Drop a cherry or 2 into the centre of each sponge and press down lightly. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, well risen and firm to touch.
- Cool slightly. Serve sprinkled with crushed pistachios.
- These cakes will keep for up to 2 days in a sealed container or you can freeze them once completely cold on baking day.
- Frozen cherries (eg. Fruzio) are available if you want to enjoy cherries out of season.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..