HFG fish ‘n’ chips
Time to make: 1 hr 10 mins , plus 30 mins chilling
( Hands-on time: 30 mins )
Total cost: $ 35.60 / $ 8.90 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 1/4 cups cornflakes
3 tablespoons LSA
1 lemon, grated zest
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup wholemeal flour
2 egg whites, beaten
4 x 130g snapper fillets
500g orange kumara, cut in thick wedges
2 courgettes, cut in sticks
2 carrots, cut in sticks or 200g parsnips, cut in wedges
sprinkling of smoked paprika
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise (we used Best Foods)
5 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
1 tablespoon capers, chopped
1 gherkin, chopped
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
4 cups watercress
4 radishes, sliced thinly
1 red onion, sliced thinly
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 orange, peeled, sliced
1 lemon, juice
2 tablespoons vinaigrette (made with 2 parts vinegar to 1 part olive oil)
Total fat 20g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 12g
1 To make crumbs, place cornflakes in a blender or processor and process until they become fine crumbs. Place in a shallow bowl and mix with LSA, lemon zest and Cajun seasoning. Stir in chopped parsley.
2 Place wholemeal flour and egg whites in separate shallow dishes. Dip fish in flour to coat then in egg white and finally in crumbs. Chill for 30 minutes.
3 While fish is chilling, prepare chips. Cook kumara wedges, courgettes and carrot sticks in batches in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. Transfer to a baking dish and spray with oil. Sprinkle with paprika.
4 Mix tartare sauce ingredients together and chill. Mix salad ingredients together, season and chill.
5 Once ready to cook, preheat oven to 190ºC. Place kumara, courgette and carrot in oven 15 minutes before fish. Place fish on a rack and spray with oil. Add to oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. Re-spray vegetables halfway through cooking.
6 Serve fish with chips, salad and tartare sauce on the side. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
What we did
- Replaced white flour and breadcrumbs with wholemeal flour, LSA and corn flakes to coat fish (reduced carbohydrates and kilojoules; increased fibre)
- Made chips with kumara (added fibre, vitamin C, folate, vitamin A and B vitamins)
- Added courgettes and carrots to our chips (reduced carbohydrates and kilojoules; increased vitamin B3 and vitamin A)
- Based our tartare sauce on a low-fat plain yoghurt rather than a full-fat mayonnaise (reduced saturated fat)
- Added salad (increased health-promoting vegetables
- Servings : 4
- Ready in : 70 Minutes
- Ingredient : Capers, Carrots, Cereals, Courgettes, zucchini, Eggs, Fish, Flour, Gherkins, Kumara, sweet potato, Lemons, LSA, Mayonnaise, Oil, oil spray, Onions - red, Oranges, Parsley, Parsnips, Radishes, Seasoning mix, seasoning paste, spice mix, Spices - dried, ground, seeds, flakes, Tarragon, Tomatoes - fresh, Vinegars, Watercress, Yoghurt
You can chill the crumbed fish for up to 3 hours.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..