Warm winter curry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds or wholegrain mustard
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 large kumara (200g each), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups winter vegetables, chopped (cauliflower, carrots, courgettes)
- ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons plain low-fat yoghurt
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 13g
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook for a few minutes until softened. Add the spices and cook for a further minute, then stir in the lentils, kumara, stock, 2 cups water and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, add the remaining vegetables, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the lentils and kumara are tender.
- Season with pepper and serve with unsweetened yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Check spices and mustard are gluten free.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..