Savoury French toast with roast tomatoes
- 275g truss tomatoes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup trim milk
- 8 thick slices light rye bread
- 3 cups baby rocket
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 1/2 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Total fat 23g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 8g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place tomatoes on one of the trays, spray with olive oil and roast for 10 minutes or until skins start to split.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, egg white and milk in a medium bowl. Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil. Set over medium heat.
- Dip 4 slices bread into egg mixture, coating evenly. Shake off excess mixture. Add bread to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until crisp and golden.
- Transfer French toast to other prepared baking tray and place in oven to keep warm. Repeat step 3 with remaining bread, spraying pan with a light coating of olive oil between batches.
- Place remaining ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss.
- Top French toast slices with roasted tomatoes and serve with salad.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread.
You can switch off the oven after roasting the tomatoes. It will stay hot enough to keep the French toast warm.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..