Ginger soy skewers with egg noodle salad
- 12 bamboo skewers
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut in thin strips
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- pinch of ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 200g dried egg noodles
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers or
- 1/2 telegraph cucumber halved lengthways, seeds removed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 medium carrots, peeled in long ribbons
- 250g tomatoes, sliced, or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed unsalted peanuts
- lime wedges, to serve
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 5g
- Soak bamboo skewers in a shallow dish of cold water for 30 minutes then drain.
- Meanwhile, combine chicken, soy sauce, sesame oil, five-spice, pepper, ginger and honey in a large bowl. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Cook noodles in a medium saucepan of boiling water according to packet directions. Drain and refresh under cold running water, then drain again and transfer to a large salad bowl. Add cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, mint, coriander, lime juice and rice bran oil to bowl. Toss to combine.
- Thread chicken onto skewers. Heat a grill pan or barbecue hotplate on high. Cook skewers for 1-2 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Scatter skewers with crushed peanuts and serve with lime wedges and salad.
- Make it low FODMAP: Replace honey with maple syrup.
- Make it gluten free: Check soy sauce, five-spice powder and noodles are gluten free.
You can freeze uncooked skewers (or marinated chicken) for up to one month.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..