Grilled lamb with carrot miso purée and orange salad
- 5 carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon miso paste (see tip)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 oranges
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 500g lean lamb leg steaks
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
Total fat 27g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 6g
- Place carrots in microwave and steam for 8 minutes or until tender. Place in a blender with miso paste, milk and pepper. Blend until a smooth purée forms and add more milk or water if needed. Set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice one orange, discarding seeds. Place orange slices in a large bowl. Add spinach leaves. Combine sesame oil with juice of the remaining orange (about 1/4 cup) and mix well to make dressing.
- Heat a heavy-based pan over a high heat. Spray lamb steaks with oil and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until done to your liking. Remove from heat and set aside to rest for 5 minutes, before slicing on the diagonal.
- Dress salad, add sunflower seeds and toss well. Serve lamb with carrot purée and salad on the side.
- Make it gluten free: Check miso is gluten free.
- If you don’t have miso, use salt-reduced chicken stock powder or gel, but halve the quantity.
Miso is a Japanese fermented paste made from soy beans, barley or rice. It has an intense, savoury flavour. Use miso as a soup on its own, mixed with hot water. It can also be used, as it is in this recipe, in place of stock or as a flavour enhancer. Miso is high in sodium, so a little goes a long way.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..