Spring chicken soup
- 3/4 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 250g chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, sliced in 3 pieces
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed, or 1 bunch asparagus sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- 1 can cannellini or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 slices sourdough bread, to serve
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 11g
- Combine chicken stock, miso paste and 1 1/2 cups water in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add chicken breast and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add vegetables and bring back to a boil. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Remove ginger pieces from soup.
- Season with pepper and garnish with parsley or basil, if desired. Serve with sourdough bread on the side.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free sourdough and stock, and check miso is gluten free.
- If you don’t have miso, use salt-reduced chicken stock powder or gel, but halve the quantity.
Miso is a Japanese fermented paste made from soy beans, barley or rice. It has an intense, savoury flavour. Use miso as a soup on its own, mixed with hot water. It can also be used, as it is in this recipe, in place of stock or as a flavour enhancer. Miso is high in sodium, so a little goes a long way.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..