Time to make: 40 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
Total cost: $ 17.60 / $ 4.40 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
200g macaroni (or any short pasta)
1/2 head cauliflower (about 300g), cut into small florets
2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
3 tablespoons plain flour
575ml trim milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup grated reduced-fat mature cheddar
6 spring onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan
6 large tomatoes, sliced
3/4 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 7g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions, adding cauliflower for last 4 minutes; drain.
- Melt spread in a separate large saucepan set over medium heat; beat in flour until a smooth paste forms. Add milk ¼ cup at a time, stirring and heating between additions, until mixture becomes a thick sauce; simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add mustard, cheese, spring onions and half the parmesan to pan; stir in cooked pasta and cauliflower. Transfer mixture to a large baking dish and top with tomato slices.
- Combine breadcrumbs with thyme and remaining parmesan in a bowl; scatter on top of the tomato slices. Transfer dish to oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until surface is bubbling and golden; leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta, flour and breadcrumbs. Check mustard is gluten free.
Why OUR dish is healthier!
- Trim milk replaces full-fat milk, reduced-fat spread replaces butter and we’ve used less cheese to massively slash the saturated fat content
- Cauliflower bulks up the dish with filling fibre so we use less pasta
- The crunchy tomato-crumb topping lifts the number of vegetables
- Mustard and fresh herbs add flavour without needing salt
- This satisfying dish delivers under half the kilojoules and sodium, and more than twice the fibre of some macaroni cheese recipes
- Save: 2500kJ, 56g fat, 37g sat fat, 640mg sodium
- Add: 4g fibre
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..