Chilli and fennel steak with crisp potatoes
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1/3 bunch (4-5) baby carrots
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 120g sirloin steak, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- mustard of your choice, to serve (optional)
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add potato and cook for 5 minutes or until just tender, then drain and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low. Add baby carrots, rosemary and honey to saucepan with 1/2 cup water; cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until carrots are just tender. Uncover pan, increase heat to medium–high and cook for 5 minutes, or until liquid evaporates and carrots are coated in honey. Cover pan to keep warm and set aside.
- Meanwhile heat half the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium–high heat. Add reserved potato and cook 10—12 minutes, shaking occasionally, until golden.
- Push potato to one side of pan. Sprinkle chilli flakes and fennel seeds onto steak, add to pan and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until done to your liking. Transfer steak and potato to a plate; cover.
- Heat remaining olive oil in same frying pan. Add baby spinach and cook until just wilted; transfer to a serving plate with steak, potato and carrots. Serve steak with a dollop of mustard (if desired).
Make it gluten free: Check mustard (if using) is gluten free.
Healthy Food Guide
Read more about this chef..