Vege and lentil curry with coconut rice
1/2 cup brown rice
2 tablespoons coconut milk powder (we used Stir)
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 carrot, sliced in small batons
2 spring onions, sliced
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 cups chopped broccoli florets
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen broad beans, defrosted and pods removed
1 red chilli, sliced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
400g can lentils in spring water, drained and rinsed
1 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock or miso (made with 2 teaspoons miso paste and 1 cup water)
1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
1 teaspoon brown sugar
juice of 1 lemon or lime
fresh coriander and/or kaffir lime leaves, to garnish
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 18g
- To a saucepan, add rice, coconut milk powder and 1 cup of water and mix well. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmering for 20-25 minutes, until rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, spray a large pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add garlic, carrot, spring onions and ginger and cook for 2 minutes. Add broccoli, mushrooms, broad beans and half of the chilli and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add spices and stir to combine.
- Add lentils, stock or miso, tomato paste and brown sugar and bring to a simmer for 8-10 minutes, until liquid reduces slightly. Squeeze lemon juice over and add remaining chilli.
- Divide curry and coconut rice between 2 plates. Serve garnished with coriander and/or kaffir lime leaves.
- Servings : 2
- Ready in : 30 Minutes
- Ingredient : Broad beans, Broccoli, Carrots, Chillies - fresh, Coconut milk, coconut cream, coconut powder, Coriander, Garlic - fresh, Ginger - crushed, minced, purée, paste, Kaffir lime leaves, Lemons, Lentils, Mushrooms, Oil, oil spray, Rice, Spices - dried, ground, seeds, flakes, Spring onions, green onions, Stock, Sugars, Tomato paste
Make it vegan: Check stock (or miso) is vegan.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $75. Just grab your shopping list and get dinner done!
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Read more about this chef..