Coconut quinoa curry with cauliflower rice
Time to make: 4 hrs 15 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 21.72 / $ 5.43 per serve
(at time of publication)
1 tablespoon rice bran or canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon grated fresh turmeric (or 1 teaspoon ground)
1 tablespoon massaman curry paste
2 1/2 cups (300g) 2cm cubed orange kumara
2 cups small broccoli florets
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
400g can diced tomatoes
1/2 x 400g can light coconut milk
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
1/4 cup quinoa
1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
1 teaspoon miso paste
1 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 cauliflower head, chopped into florets
1 cup finely sliced red cabbage
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
2 red chillies, finely sliced (optional)
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 16g
- Preheat slow cooker on high heat.
- In a frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric and curry paste and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add next 12 ingredients, stir well and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 hours (or longer if you are at work).
- Just before serving, place cauliflower florets in food processor and pulse until it resembles rice grains.
- Divide curry between 4 serving dishes and serve with cauliflower ‘rice’, topped with cabbage, coriander and red chilli (if using).
- Servings : 4
- Ingredient : Broccoli, Cauliflower, Chickpeas, Coconut milk, coconut cream, coconut powder, Curry paste, flavour paste, spice paste, Garlic - fresh, Ginger - fresh, Kumara, sweet potato, Miso, miso paste, miso soup, Oil, oil spray, Onions, Quinoa, Soy sauce, Spices - dried, ground, seeds, flakes, Stock, Tomatoes - canned, Turmeric - fresh
If you prefer, you can warm cauliflower rice in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Make it vegan: Check miso, stock and curry paste are vegan.
All rights reserved
Reproduction without permission prohibited
Read more about this chef..