Time to make: 8 hrs 15 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 37.80 / $ 6.30 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons piri piri sauce (or curry paste)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced lengthwise and chopped
2 cups (250g) 2cm cubed pumpkin
1 green capsicum, roughly chopped
1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
400g can diced tomatoes
400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
400g can light coconut milk
1/2 cup fruit chutney
1/2 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper
2 cups roughly chopped kale
juice of 1 lemon or lime
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup low-fat plain yoghurt
4 mini wholemeal pita
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 11g
- In a large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. Add chicken and stir to coat well.
- In slow cooker, heat oil on high. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken, plus all remaining ingredients, except kale and lemon/lime juice. Stir and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- Ten minutes before serving, add kale and lemon/lime juice and stir through.
- Serve with brown rice and yoghurt, with wholemeal pitas on the side. Garnish with coriander.
- Servings : 6
- Ingredient : Capsicum, peppers, Celery, Chicken, Chutney, Coconut milk, coconut cream, coconut powder, Garlic - fresh, Kale, Kidney beans, Lemons, Oil, oil spray, Pepper, peppercorns, Piri piri sauce or marinade, Pumpkin, butternut, squash, Red onions, Salt, Spices - dried, ground, seeds, flakes, Tomato paste, Tomatoes - fresh
If you use dried kidney beans rather than canned they should not be cooked from raw in a slow cooker, because if they’re under-cooked they contain a toxic protein that can make you sick. Make sure you soak them overnight first, then boil them for 10 minutes and simmer for a further 40 minutes before adding them to the slow cooker.
Read more about this chef..