Roasted pumpkin with haloumi, crispy lentils and coriander dressing
Time to make: 1 hr 15 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 11.32 / $ 2.83 per serve
(at time of publication)
1/2 cup dried puy lentils (see tip)
1 bay leaf
1.3kg crown pumpkin, peeled, cut into bite-sized chunks
3 tablespoons olive oil
pinch of salt, to season
pepper, to season
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
1 bunch chopped fresh coriander
1 clove garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
pepper, to season
Total fat 24g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 11g
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place lentils and bay leaf in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well, discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, on a baking tray arrange pumpkin. Drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast 30-35 minutes, until golden, turning once during cooking. Remove from oven, leaving oven on.
- Transfer drained lentils to a separate baking tray, drizzle with remaining olive oil and scatter over spices. Mix well then roast in the oven 15-20 minutes, stirring once during cooking, until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing. Place coriander and garlic into a small food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Add lemon juice, olive oil and season with pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Slice haloumi into thin slices and cook in a hot non-stick pan, turning, until golden on both sides.
- To serve, place pumpkin on a platter, top with haloumi, scatter over lentils and drizzle with coriander dressing.
Make it vegan: Replace haloumi with marinated tofu.
Puy lentils are sometimes referred to as French-style or French-green lentils, and are available from supermarkets.
You might find you don’t need to use all the crispy lentils for this dish. They can be stored in a glass jar for 2-3 days and are tasty added to salads or eaten as a snack.
All rights reserved
Reproduction without permission prohibited
Read more about this chef..