Tandoori chicken skewers with lentil, green pea and cauliflower dhal
600g skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 1/2 cm chunks
1 1/4 cups low-fat plain yoghurt, plus 1/3 cup to serve
2 tablespoons tandoori spice
2 tablespoons curry powder
2 x 400g cans brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1/2 head cauliflower
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
4 pieces wholemeal roti or naan
1 lemon, sliced, to serve (optional)
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 14g
- Heat a grill pan or barbecue to medium. Place chicken in a shallow dish. In a bowl, combine tandoori spice with 1 1/4 cups of yoghurt. Rub tandoori yoghurt mix over chicken, massaging well. Thread chicken onto metal or bamboo (soaked in water) skewers.
- Spray a non-stick, heavy-based large pot with oil and place over a medium heat. Add curry powder and gently fry for 1 minute. Add lentils and 3/4 cup of water. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor blitz cauliflower into medium size crumbs. Add to lentils and cook for 5 minutes. Add peas, then cook another 5 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, grill chicken skewers 3 minutes each side. Mix remaining yoghurt with half the coriander.
- Serve dhal and chicken skewers on a platter with roti, lemon slices and yoghurt on the side. Sprinkle with remaining coriander.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check spices are gluten free.
Read more about this chef..